Table of Contents
Frequently Asked Questions And Inboard Tech Tips
Press and hold the Ctrl key and then press the F key to search the
- HOLLEY CARB ADJUSTMENT
- OIL CAPACITY, FORD
351, INDMAR OR PCM
- SPEEDOMETERS CLOGGED
- TUNE UP TIPS FOR THE SPRING
WINTER TECH TIPS
- TRANSMISSION FLUID CAPACITY
HOLLEY CARB ADJUSTMENT
1. Rev up the engine to clear it out.
2. Turn air screw in until you hear engine begin to bog and miss.
3. Now, turn screw out with 1/2 increments until you hear that the engine is steady and running smoothly.
4. Repeat procedure on air screw on opposite side of the metering block.
OIL CAPACITY, FORD 351,
INDMAR OR PCM
The pan holds 4 qts. Filter 3/4 to 1 qt
* Put in 4 qts and run engine to fill the filter. Then add just enough oil to bring it up to 'Full' on the dipstick.
Know this: Less oil is more horse power because you are not pushing all that oil around.
Q: ADVICE ON PAINTING OLDER, FADED HULL AND BOW.
A: Use Awl Grip or a product like Imeron, which is a Dupont product. It's a polyurethane base paint with hardener. Both products are hard as rocks, last long and take scratches well.
Q: WHAT IS RECOMMENDED FOR RUST PREVENTION ON THE BLOCK?
A: Paint the surface. Paint is not porous. It will not allow water to get to the metal. For non-paint services, a grease coating will prevent rust. Use a marine, water-proof grease. Also, make sure you don't have water leaks, i.e. risers, r\w pumps which will contribute to rust. Last, keep parts cleaned off and dry.
A product like WD40 drys out too fast and requires re-application; not recommended.
1) Make sure there's no obstruction in the Petots. Inspect them, use needle or safey pin to clear woodchips or debris.
2) Use small diameter hose on Petot and blow out any obstruction.
3) Pull speedo tube off speedo at dash (holding it overboard) to confirm their is no obstruction in stabilizer tube.
4) Try replacing the speedometer, It may have failed.
Note: Petot tubes don't vacuum water, the are pressurized.
SPRING TUNE UP
- Fuel Filters...Have a fresh one each year.
- Tune-up parts like cap, rotor or an Electronic Conversion Kit. The kit has
easy to follow instructions!
- Spark Plugs...Put a fresh set in for the season. Replace every 100 hours
or every season.
- Fresh impeller will keep your engine at proper running temperature.
Checked and changed nearly annually.
- Check your alternator belt(s) for glazing, cracking or excessive belt dust
in the engine box. You always need a spare.
- Check your plug wires for loose or cracked boots or rust/corrosion around
- Distributor boots...look for loose fitting or cracked boots and check for
rust or corrosion on or around the terminals.
- Change those engine and transmission oils. The engine oil every 50 hours
and the transmission oil every 100 hours.
TRANSMISSION FLUID CAPACITY
B/W 1:1=1.8 Quarts.
Warner Reduction Gear= 2.5 Quarts.
PCM 1:1 AND 1.23:1 = 2.0 QTS, NEVER MORE THAN TWO,
EVEN IF COOLER LINES FILLED.
NOTE: BOTH BORG WARNER AND PCM GEARS ARE NOW USING DEXTRON II OR III, ANY TYPE BUT F.
IMPORTANT: If you are switching from straight 20 Weight in a PCM gear, be sure to get ALL of it out. You cannot mix them. Change the fluid two or three times to get it all out!
Discount Inboard Marine, LLC
2113 1/2 Wessinger Road / Chapin / SC 29036
Phone / (803) 345-0996 / Fax / (800) 510-9174